Sider

torsdag 10. mars 2011

A Jane Austin novel

For our English class, I am reading Emma by Jane Austin. In this blog entry, I will write about what I think about this book(as far as I've read).
My expectations for the book were few, but I had heard it wasn't actually easy reading. At the time it was written, people had another way of writing than we have today. The book contains a lot of descriptions and "unimportant" information about various characters. The first three chapters rarely contains any dialogs, which makes the book taught to read because of it's lack of, well, action. The sentences are very long, some 7 lines with letter size 9-8. The language is very formal and deep. the first chapters have still not managed to engage me much, and I'm waiting for the story to really begin.

I am not sure about the time the story takes place, but the place is somewhere in a two hours diameter from London. Or so I have understood.

In the book, we meets Emma, who lives alone with her father. The books starts with describing the character gallery in the book, we get to know about a whole lot of people that Emma knows. Quite boring information, but if you've read Anna Karenina, this is no worse. 

2 kommentarer:

  1. Just to let you know when the book was written: . Emma, which appeared in 1816, was the last novel published -during Austen’s lifetime. Jane Austen, whom some critics consider England’s best novelist, was born in 1775 in Steventon, England. The seventh of eight children, Austen lived with her parents for her entire life, first in Steventon and later in Bath, Southampton, and Chawton. She never married and is known for her gently satirical portraits of village life and of the rituals of courtship and marriage. Just hang in there, it will get more exciting as you read on! I certainly hope so for you!

    SvarSlett
  2. Julie

    I hope the book you are reading gets more exciting and interesting very soon! Hang on, and I'm sure it will :)

    SvarSlett